Owl Pellets

This week we did one of my favorite science experiments, owl pellets! We have been studying food chains and other important concepts such as predators, prey, herbivores, omnivores, and carnivores! The students were so excited to dissect the pellets! Here are some pictures of what they found…




They were able to identify different bone types and even piece many together to form the animal. This year we ordered the pellets from a different company and the quality was so much better for some reason! I'm definitely ordering again next year! This experiment really got many of my students excited about science! They were talking about it all day! 

I had students use the scientific method during this experiment so I made a worksheet to help them with the process. I've uploaded it for free to my TPT store. If you'd like to use it, click below. Enjoy!





5 comments:

  1. I really want to do owl pellets with my fourth graders this year....where did you buy them?

    Looks like fun!

    Nichole
    Craftofteaching@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nichole…

      The name of the company is Mountain Home Biological and the website is pelletlab.com. Have fun!

      Delete
  2. Love owl pellets! We dissected them on Halloween as part of our owl themed day. My 3rd graders LOVED it!! They glued the bones on black paper. It looks cool! Glad to be your newest follower!
    Gina
    Beach Sand and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to ask you the same question as Nichole!! I'm going to order owl pellets right now! Thanks so much!

    Molly
    Lessons with Laughter

    ReplyDelete